Saturday, September 20, 2008

Firmman Half - Pre-Race Thoughts / Prediction

With the Firmman Half Ironman tomorrow, I figured I'd post my time predictions without having seen the race course. See below.

Swim
Even though my training volume for the swim has been up training for the Ironman, I think I may improve my time a little compared to my Mooseman time due to the fact that its an ocean swim and I've been told that its with the current. Predicted Time: 28-30 minutes

Bike
I feel like I've made some huge improvements here considering I have a much more solid bike base than I did going into Mooseman. I've been able to get in 3 rides of 50 miles or more and training weeks with about 100 miles of biking. I've also been able to maintain a good average speed for myself over these rides. I should improve here, but the only difference is that I won't have a set of race wheels for this race like I did at Mooseman. Predicted Time: 2:40 - 2:45 (21.3 mph - 20 mph average speed)

Run
Unsure of this one due to the fact that my longest run has still been a measly 8 miles while still trying to train for my Ironman, which in itself is scary. It's still been my strongest leg to date, not matter what my running base mileage has been to do date, so I'm hoping it will be faster or about the same. Predicted Time: 1:30 - 1:40 (7:00 - 7:40 per mile pace)

Overall
I'd love to be able to finish in the 4:45 to 5:00 hour range all depending on how hilly and/or flat the course is. I feel like I'm in good enough shape to really pull off a descent time tomorrow, but I guess time will only tell! I'll be sure to post a race report on how I make out.

1 comment:

Scott DeWire said...

Good Luck Scott! We'll be cheering for you!