Sunday, May 17, 2009

JCC Triathlon by the Sea - 2009 Race Report


OFFICIAL RESULTS: 5th OA out of 230, 1st M25-29 out of 6; 56:34
This was my first official race of the season and it was a great motivator to get me back into my groove and hopefully back to enjoying the training for my other races this season. I wasn't quite sure what to expect on how I would perform at this race this year since last year I was in much better shape considering I was training for a half in June. The race this year was back to the original course because last year construction work changed the course and made it a 10.5 mile bike and a 3 mile run. This year it was a 10 mile bike and 3.5 mile run.
The weather on race day was very rainy and 60 degrees. The good thing was that it was humid so it actually felt pretty warm and I was able to get away with no bike socks, arm warmers and leg warmers, which was a plus since they are pain to put on when you are soaking wet and its raining.
Swim 1/8 Mile: 4th OA, 1st AG; 3:39 (Last year 3:45)
The swim start is based on a seed time that you give the race director when you register since its a pool swim. So after the first person goes there is a 10-15 second gap between every swimmer in hopes that you don't catch the person in front of you. The good thing was that this year I was far enough up in the line, number 9 this year, compared to last year where I was 66 people deep. The only person I caught this year was the girl in front of me and it didn't cost me any time. I knew I would improve on my swim time this year since I was further up, but I also feel like I've been concentrating more on this. My actual swim time was 3:26 when I exited the pool, but by the time you reach the timing mat, it adds this time to your swim split, which is still a 12 second improvement over last years swim exit time, which is great over a short distance.
Bike 10 Miles: 19th OA, 1st AG, 31:38 (19.0 MPH) (Last year 20.2 mph)
I knew that going into the bike leg this year that there was no way I would be able to match or beat my average speed from last year, which was 20.2 mph. I just don't have the base mileage that I had this time last year. My longest ride to date is only 34 miles! I had predicted going into the race that I would be in around 31 minutes considering everything, but 38 seconds over isn't to bad considering the weather conditions. The bike course this year was awesome! The roads were well paved with little to no pot holes at all. The only bad thing was that you had to do 3 loops once you got out there and the turn to make the loop was very sharp so you had to slow down to make the turn so that I didn't whip out taking the corner. Overall this is and has continued to be my weakest link in triathlon and where I've been getting beat at the races. It looks like its time to get more time in the saddle and hammer out some miles!
Run 3.5 miles: 1st OA, 1st AG; 21:18 (6:05/mile) (Last year 5:33/mile)
This year the run was a half mile longer and I knew that I didn't have the speed work to pull of a 5:33 pace like I did last year. That was just a crazy fast time I pulled off last year. In fact my base running mileage is way off the mark for this time of year due to my injuries, hip tightness and hamstring issues. By the time I got to the run I was about 2-3 minutes behind the leader and knew I wouldn't be able to catch them, but I knew that I could at least try. Come to find out I still had the fastest time of the day and was able to gain a a minute on the winnder. I was all alone out there on the run course until about the 3 mile mark and I could see the 2nd finisher ahead of me in the distance, but with such a little distance to the finish and such a big gap I knew I wasn't going to be able to catch him.
Summary:
All and all I can't complain about how I finished in this race this year considering where I'm at training wise. Would I have liked to have done better, most definitely, but between my injuries and lack of motivation to train it has held me back from my true potential. My next race is in 2 weeks out at Ludlow, which I'm pretty excited about since Ludlow was where I did my first triathlon. I figured I'd do this race this year to see how far I've come since my first race ever in the sport.
Post Race:
I want to thank my parents and Jess for coming out to cheer me on today despite the very inclimate weather. That was great! After the race and awards we kept with tradition and went out to Brunch / Lunch with Jess's family where I absolutely pigged out on 6 pieces of french toast, 2 egg whites and 3 pieces of bacon!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Scott, congrats on your race this past weekend. Considering your injuries and such, seems to me you did well. I hope this race helps to get you back into swing of things as you hoped it would. Looking forward to seeing you race in the upcoming season.

Thor said...

Awesome job, Scott. I mean that. Think about where you were last season at this time, and look where you are this season... worlds away. But your result is still solid! The best part for me is that although you say your bike and run aren't where they should be, you not only know they will be coming around shortly -- because you're working on those -- but this shows you know how to put all the elements together, and I know this because your splits and position throughout the race stayed all the way up top. Can't wait to see what you do to the half Iron's you've got over the summer.