Sunday, June 28, 2009

Ashland Lions Triathlon - 2009 Race Report

OFFICIAL RESULTS: 19th OA out of 190, 2nd M25-29 out of 15; 2:24:40


The weather on race day was an absolute washout! Thankfully before the race while I was setting up my transition area it wasn't raining, but I knew what was in store so I left a trash bag over my run and bike gear. Not long after I had finished setting up, it started to pour. Luckily there was a huge party tent that was setup nearby and I was able to stretch out under there until the start of the race. My parents got a little lost on there way and ended up meeting me here.

Swim 1 Mile: 30th OA, 4th AG; 23:11 (1:26/100 m)

The hike down to the swim start must have been at least been a 1/4 of a mile or a little more down a steep woods trail. Needless to say it was a good thing I wore a junky pair of old running shoes for the swim exit so that I can run up to T1. My age group at this race was in the 2nd swim wave which was awesome. There is something about being in the first swim wave and being caught that I hate. I love being out on the course and catching people when I start in the 2nd swim wave.

Bike 26 Miles: 29th OA, 2nd AG; 1:12:49 (21.42 MPH)

This bike course was very hilly, but the down hills made this course fast. On the uphills I must have only been going 9 mph but on one of the downhills I hit 39mph! It was a 2 loop course that went around the Ashland Reservoir and went over the Boston Marathon start, which was really cool since I've never been out to the start of the Boston Marathon. The bike leg went well and it was great to learn that I picked up a spot in my age group and in the overall standings.

Run 6.5 Miles: 10th OA, 2nd AG, 40:41 (6:15/mile)

This run course was a little hilly like bike course so I'm pretty happy with my time considering.

Race Recap:

Overall this was a great race and it was great that parents were able to make it to watch me race. It unfortunately was the 2nd race that Jess wasn't able to make because she has been busy attending 2 of her friend bridal showers for their weddings that are this summer. I hope this race is good indicator that I'll be ready for 70.3 RI.

No comments: