Monday, May 3, 2010

Margaritas 5K - Exeter, NH

Official Results: 2nd OA, 1st AG M20-29, Time: 17:03 (5:29 per mile pace)

After running a PR at the 5 mile distance a few weeks ago I was curious to see how fast I could run a 5k. I was hoping to break 17:00, but I was 3 seconds over. It wasn't until I got home and called my parents and had them check to see what my PR was for the 5k since I couldn't remember the last time I had run one. My PR from high school which is probably the fastest 5k I've ever run was my sophomore year and was a 16:58. I'm hoping to break this PR soon!

I ended up going to this race by myself yesterday since Jess was so tired. I was up at 7am and out of the house by 8am. Even though the race wasn't until 10am I still had to preregister, stretch and drive 40 minutes to the race. Based on last years results I was hoping it maybe win it, but after getting there I noticed there were a few good guys that showed up for the race. I saw the guy that won the race warming up and had a feeling he might win it. Sure enough I was right. After talking to him after the race, he had just run the Boston Marathon and finished in 2:30 and had raced a 5k yesterday...this guy was in awesome shape! I started out in 2nd place and finished in 2nd place for this race. After looking over the data from the race, I ran at 98% Max HR and for the last few minutes I hit 100 to 101%...no wonder why I felt like I was going throw up the last 1/1oth of a mile! Hopefully I can break my 5k PR soon! I'd like to break my 5k, 10k and 10 mile PR's this year as well!

Up next the JCC Sprint Triathlon May 16.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Incredible effort!
I am sure your PR in the 5K will be broken. Stay healthy.

Kevin Reen said...

you are flying