Monday, March 3, 2008

Week 6 - Recap

Well Week 6 was a little disappointing on the bike end, but the swim and run totals were right where they were suppose to be. The week started out great but then come Tuesday my groin injury from the 2006 season decided to act up again and was tight most of week and prevented me from biking all week. As well as my groin tightness and tenderness bothering me my IT band has been tight since the beginning of my training regimen. For those of you that don’t know, 2006 was supposed to be my first triathlon season, but I was on the DL for about 6-7 months with a severely pulled groin injury which took 2 visits a week for 6 months of Physical Therapy to recover from. Since I knew how long it took to recover from that injury I decided that I needed to add a more regimented stretching routine to my training plan. I normally stretch out prior to biking and running and do a few stretches prior to swimming, but I have now begun a stretching and strengthening program that I try to do twice a week. I have also started stretching for about a half hour before and after each run and bike session that I have as well. With this all in place my groin and IT Band were fine by the end of the week and I was able to pull off a great 5K (see post from yesterday).

As a great tip for triathletes and runners alike the best investment you could make is in a foam roller or a foam roller ball. This helped me with my groin injury and is great for rolling out just about every inch of your legs before and/or after a hard run. I picked up my foam roller and ball up at http://www.performbetter.com/

Here are Week 6 totals below:
  • Swim - 5,616 yards
  • Bike - 30 minutes (1 lousy session)
  • Run - 20.95 miles

No comments: