Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Week 18 - Recap

Well Week 18 was eventful as you could tell from my previous post. This week was also my first open water swim in Stiles Pond in Boxford, MA. The open water swim had to have been the coldest swim I've ever been on. We were told the water temperature was 62 degrees, but it felt more like 52! I'll be looking forward to Week 19 and 20 with my 2 week taper for my 1st Half Ironman race on June 8th, Mooseman. Since I wasn't able to get my 60 mile ride in, my bike mileage is low this week. My running mileage is also low this week since I've been dealing with some achilles tendon tightness and soreness/tenderness. I was able to make it to the Orthopedic doctor on Thursday, May 22 and he told me that as long as I stretch it before and after my workouts and ice it after, I should be fine for my half. He told me that I'm just generally tight and that if I have tight hamstrings, then that will result in trouble with my achilles tendons. Along with stretching them out twice a day I was also taking ibuprofen for a few days to relieve any inflammation. As of this post, I'm back to my normal running and my achilles are much better. I'm back to the foam roller for my achilles tendons and since I'm using the roller again, I figured I should roll out my IT bands even though I haven't had any trouble with them for quite come time.

Here are the totals for Week 18:
  • Swim - 5,850 yards
  • Bike - 56.12 miles
  • Run - 12.68 miles

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tough couple of weeks with the crash and bieng sick.

Weather looks warm for Sunday, nutrition plan will be critical.

Aunt Joyce wishes you good luck.

Anonymous said...

Hey Scott,

Just stumbled upon your blog. Catching up here... Great race at JCC, totally sorry to hear about your crash, and very happy to hear you're doing better and gearing up for Mooseman. You are so strong on the bike and run that you will stomp that course! It's tough, and it will be a hot day, but you are stronger than that.

Till next time!
Thor